Monday, July 29, 2013

Lesson 188: You take the high road, and I'll take the low road, and I'll get to Scotland afore ye

Tyler's family took us to the Highland Games. It was different from how I usually approach festivals. I would normally check out all the animal barns, watch the shows, check out presentations and just skim the booths. 

With Tyler's family we looked at the booths and watched the big bagpipe opening ceremony... and then left. 

Actually THEY watched the bagpipe opening ceremony. After waiting on the bleachers in the hot sun for 2 hours, Ted woke up hungry 20 min before the presentation started. I left to find a spot to feed him. I have never noticed how crowded a festival is until the day I had to find a secluded spot to avoid exposing myself to the world while feeding Ted. 

I paced the fairgrounds, and in a panic I started crying and called Tyler to come sit with me. Yes, I cry when I get frustrated. This experience has given me a greater respect for women who feed their babies in public. Before I was uncomfortable when I saw women breastfeeding, but now that I am one of those women I realize just how tough it can be sometimes. You gotta do what you gotta do. Baby is hungry. 

Anyway, it was an interesting festival. There was this group of people pretending to fight each other. For some reason the girls always beat the guys in battle. I doubt very much that was historically accurate. 
Tyler has ancestors who were in clan McDonald (or MacDonald, I have no idea) so we stopped at the booth to check out their clan colors. 
I took a bunch of pictures of Tyler in hats...  

I wanted to buy Ted a hat like this one with the pom pom on top but no one sold them for babies. I did see babies wearing them though. I should have stopped the moms and asked where they got them.  
No Highland Games would be complete without completely unnecessary things to purchase like this lovely battleaxe.  
Or this mace. (I am pretending to swing the mace)
Like I said, I prefer to watch the shows. At one point while the boys were looking at fancy swords, Ted and I checked out the cute little step dancing girls. I told Ted I want him to get into step dancing but I only saw one boy among all the dancers so I will have to find something else for him to excel at. 
Here are some bagpipers that were parading around the fair.
P.S. There was CONSTANT bagpipe music going on the entire time we were there.  
Tyler and Me. Ted was there too but like I mentioned earlier, he was asleep in the stroller almost the entire time. This was fine with me since I did not want him out in the direct sun all day anyway. 


1 comment:

  1. You look great Whitney. And I agree that Ted looks like you. Of course I haven't actually seen Tyler in person, so I can't judge too well.

    ReplyDelete