Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Lesson 4: It's 3AM, do you know where your husband is?

3AM rolled around this morning as I awoke to the sound of Tyler cleaning up puppy pee on the carpet. He had set Max on the pee pad and the defiant pup took a few steps forward and peed just off the mat. But my main concern was why in the world is my husband up?

He had not been able to sleep all night as a result of smashing his index finger last Saturday at work. The constant throbbing and build up of blood under the nail was enough to deny him of any quality sleep for the past 3 nights. I had suggested to him in the past that he try to poke a hole in his nail to relieve the pressure. I had never done it before nor had I ever even seen it done. I just remember being told what to do in 1st aid classes. Tyler always said no. There is no way he was letting me stab him with a needle.

This particular morning I believe the "pressure" finally got to him as he announced he was going to do it! He was going to poke a hole in his nail. Good, I yelled from bed, make sure you Google how it is done. Of course I could not let all this go down without me, so I dragged myself out of bed and took a look at the instructions. Apparently you burn a hole not poke it.... very nice. We heated up the needle with one of our smelly candles. Tyler made the first attempt. One barely there touch of the needle to his nail and he was done. Mine was the second attempt. A little sizzling and I could see the blood begin to seep out. Hooray, I cheered, success! Tyler made the point that we should burn another hole to let a bit more blood out.

This time I was bound and determined to do it right. A bit more pressure on the needle and WHAM-O, blood spurting everywhere! Argh, Tyler shouted as he jerked his hand back flinging blood across the table.

Did I hurt you?

Just a little, I could feel the pressing down of the needle.

I felt bad of course.... but it was just so awesome I could not contain my happiness. First aid classes work :) I had always thought the idea of stabbing someone's fingernail with a needle was crazy. But it works!!!

A quick run to the Safeway across the street for antiseptic wash to soak his finger and Dr. Opfar's procedure is complete. :)

Pictures to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment